Apr 13, 2018

Syamjith

Syamjith

Watercolor on Cartridge Paper / Cardstock

Pretty long back, when I was a module lead in Syam's team, our whole team used to go for our evening tea breaks together. On one such tea meets, probably it was just the two of us present as I don't remember anyone else with us, I noticed some beautifully made shadow drawings and a Disney character in his notebook that he used to use for taking down project notes. I asked him, 'Why?' and he said he liked to draw. He had lost touch with drawing when we all got to senior classes in school. We all do.. He wanted to pick it up where he left, because it relaxed him. I asked him, 'How?' and he said causally, 'Oh, you know - it's just how we did back as kids.. You pick a picture you like - Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck or so, and you look at it and draw it. Keep doing that. Then you try to draw other things also. Soon you may just start drawing without looking at the picture even.'
It is not true that, 'That was the day I decided...'. For a long time after that too, I was convinced I wouldn't be drawing for anything more than doodling during phone calls. That said, his statement and the way he exclaimed the simplicity of the method has been an inspiring quote for me to restart and keep up in this journey.
Here's a 'Hi Syam!' from me.. 

No comments: